LanRan virus Removal Guide
What is LanRan ransomware virus?
LanRan ransomware – a serious computer infection which corrupts important data and requires 0.5 BTC for the decryption service
LanRan ransomware - a sneaky virus which demands a 0.5 BTC ransom to receive a decryption key for blocked data.
LanRan ransomware is a sneaky cryptovirus which seems to be a new version of the open-source MyLittleRansomware virus. On the affected machine, the virus changes the wallpaper and shows a lock screen. After infiltration, LanRan virus might modify Windows Registry. These alterations allow taking root into the system and activate malicious processes whenever the victim turns on the infected computer. However, the main purpose of the ransomware is to encrypt files immediately. It uses RSA-2048 encryption algorithm and aims at the most popular file types, such as MS Office documents, multimedia files, etc. A ransom note, named @___help___@ and urging 0.5 BTC for a file decryption key, appears. Recently a new version of this ransomware has been released – LanRan v2 which uses the .LanRan2.0.5 file extension to corrupt data.
|About the new version||The new version is called LanRan v2. It adds the .LanRan2.0.5 appendix to encrypted data, displays a @___ README ___ @.tx named ransom note, and urges 0.5 BTC for a decryption tool|
|Distribution techniques||Spam messages, dubious sites/software|
|Elimination||Install ReimageIntego and terminate the virus|
Thus, it takes over all personal files and important documents in order to convince more victims to pay the ransom. Although it’s easy to be threatened by the ransomware attack, the most important task is LanRan ransomware removal. Later you can think about the alternative ways to restore your files.
Once LanRan ransomware virus completes data encryption procedure, it drops a ransom note. The crooks ask to transfer 0.5 Bitcoins to the provided Bitcoin wallet address in order to purchase LanRan Decryptor. This tool is vital for data recovery, and people need to contact creators of the ransomware via email email@example.com if they want to get back access to their files.
Indeed, it might be hard to recover encrypted data if you do not have backups. The LanRan virus is likely to delete Shadow Volume Copies that are essential for the recovery. However, purchasing the decryption key from the hackers is not recommended either. They might gladly take your money and leave you without the decryptor. Cybercriminals are not the ones who can be trusted.
Nevertheless, it’s not enough to remove LanRan from the computer to retrieve encoded data; this task is crucial. Only professional security tools, such as ReimageIntego can clean your computer from this cyber threat. If you encounter some obstacles, please scroll down to the third part of the article.
LanRan ransomware locks infected computer's screen and display an ugly ransom note where victims are informed about a necessity to pay the ransom.
Ransomware infects computers through spam messages
Malware researchers found few ransomware's samples lurking on the Web. The hackers might trick you into clicking on an infected link, ad or email attachment in order to install payload on your computer. Thus, if you receive a questionable link on social media, do not rush clicking it. Even if your friend sent it, he or she might not be aware of this activity.
What is more, if you receive a strange email that expresses the urge to open the attached document, you need to make sure that it’s safe to open. System hijack might also occur if you decide to download infected or obfuscated freeware or other files from the unreliable sources. Hence, taking precautions and being vigilant is important in order to protect your data from ransomware.
Eliminate LanRan virus
You can perform the LanRan virus removal by using professional malware elimination equipment. However, the virus might block antivirus programs or prevent from installing them. Thus, if you found yourself in this situation, please reboot your computer to the Safe Mode with Networking. The instructions below will help you to do that. When in Safe Mode, install and update your preferred malware removal program. If you have no idea which tool to choose, please pick either ReimageIntego or SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner.
These programs are strong enough to remove LanRan ransomware along with all its malicious components from the system. Talking about possibilities to restore your files, we have to be honest and tell that if you do not have backups, chances are not high. Researchers haven’t developed a decryption software yet. However, you can try alternative recovery options presented below.
Getting rid of LanRan virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
In order to turn off the lock screen and disable the virus, you need to reboot your device to the Safe Mode with Networking. When in Safe Mode, install your preferred malware removal program and scan the system several times.
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove LanRan using System Restore
System Restore method also helps to get rid of the lock screen and install or activate security program necessary for the LanRan elimination.
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of LanRan. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove LanRan from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
Paying the ransom is not a safe and reliable way to rescue your files. Cybercriminals might not provide you decryption software or offer to use a malicious one. As a result, you will lose your money and might get infected with other malware. Thus, if you do not have backups, please try alternative recovery methods that might help to restore at least some of the files. However, LanRan deletion must be performed before.
If your files are encrypted by LanRan, you can use several methods to restore them:
Files encrypted by LanRan malware might be rescued with a help of Data Recovery Pro
Originally, this tool was designed to restore damaged or deleted files. However, developers update it in order to help victims from the ransomware to rescue at least some of encoded files.
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by LanRan ransomware;
- Restore them.
Take advantage of Windows Previous Versions feature and restore files encrypted by LanRan virus
Windows Previous Versions feature allows accessing previously saved versions of the encrypted files, but only if System Restore function has been enabled before the attack. Otherwise, copying individual files is not valid.
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
Nevertheless, cybercriminals offer to purchase decryption software; we do not recommend doing it. If none of the above methods have worked for you, or you still need to recover lots of files, please be patient and wait for the official LanRan decrypter created by the virus researchers.
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from LanRan and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Access your website securely from any location
When you work on the domain, site, blog, or different project that requires constant management, content creation, or coding, you may need to connect to the server and content management service more often. The best solution for creating a tighter network could be a dedicated/fixed IP address.
If you make your IP address static and set to your device, you can connect to the CMS from any location and do not create any additional issues for the server or network manager that needs to monitor connections and activities. VPN software providers like Private Internet Access can help you with such settings and offer the option to control the online reputation and manage projects easily from any part of the world.
Recover files after data-affecting malware attacks
While much of the data can be accidentally deleted due to various reasons, malware is one of the main culprits that can cause loss of pictures, documents, videos, and other important files. More serious malware infections lead to significant data loss when your documents, system files, and images get encrypted. In particular, ransomware is is a type of malware that focuses on such functions, so your files become useless without an ability to access them.
Even though there is little to no possibility to recover after file-locking threats, some applications have features for data recovery in the system. In some cases, Data Recovery Pro can also help to recover at least some portion of your data after data-locking virus infection or general cyber infection.