LookupShare – adware that might bring other PUPs to macOS
LookupShare - adware that performs intrusive advertising and redirecting activities
LookupShare is an adware program that takes 12 MB of disk space and appears in the Applications folder of macOS machines. User reports claim that some type of Yahoo redirect virus appeared on Safari after the unexpected installation of the adware app. Continuously, the adware itself might append major changes to web browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. You can expect LookupShare to perform modifications on the homepage and new tab search. Besides, the PUP will supposedly relate to harsh redirecting and advertising activities in the nearest future.
|Type||Adware application/potentially unwanted program|
|OS and browsers affected||The suspicious product has been created specifically for macOS computer systems and can appear on web browsers such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari|
|Goal||Developers who have produced this suspicious application seek to gather income from the cost-per-click method|
|Activities||The main tasks carried out by this adware are intense advertising during browsing sessions, redirecting to affiliate domains, tracking the user's online sessions, etc. LookupShare virus might even tend to bring other PUPs together with itself|
|Distribution||Adware apps are promoted via software bundling, unsecured networks, and their hyperlinks/adverts|
|Removal||Get rid of the PUP automatically or manually. Try using Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego to diminish any changes that were hard to remove at the first place|
The aim of LookupShare is to collect cost-per-click income from pop-up ads, banner texts, in-text adverts, and other promoted content. Once the affected user clicks on a particular advertisement, money falls straight to the developers' pockets. Nevertheless, third-parties might try to push bogus products through intense advertising. Most commonly, rogue security software is promoted and users are encouraged to buy a useless tool for a high price sometimes.
Additionally, LookupShare virus might attack you with intrusive surveys and questionnaires and ask you to fill some private or technical details. Usually, users are encouraged to reveal personal information if they want to claim a fake prize or reward, for example, an Android/iPhone mobile phone device. We advise not to do that as by revealing sensitive data, you might put yourself in danger of personal information or even identity exposure.
Continuously, adware such as LookupShare is involved in redirecting activities that are supposed to take the user to affiliate sources and provide attractive-looking deals. However, this process is not that harmless as it might seem from the first view as you might accidentally (or maybe even intentionally) be taken to a malware-laden domain. This is one of the main ways of how users get infected with dangerous viruses such as Trojan horses or ransomware.
LookupShare - an adware program that appears in macOS Application folder and might bring other PUPs together
Furthermore, LookupShare virus might plant browser helper objects (BHOs) in the infected web browsers. You might spot newly-injected extensions, add-ons, and plug-ins in your browser settings that you did not insert on your own. Also, adware programs can insert tracking objects such as pixels, beacons, and cookies that aim to capture user online activities and browsing history. The captured information usually refers to:
- IP address.
- Search query data.
- Hyperlinks/ads clicked.
- Saved bookmarks.
- Deals/offers searched.
- Commonly visited networks.
After this information falls in the hands of third-parties, they use it to deliver targeted advertising on the users' computer screens. The developers identify what types of products/services are relevant for the user at the moment and generate adverts regarding the person's needs, however, the offers are often fake and created just for income. You might also see some questionable offers and deals from LookupShare adware.
If you start experiencing unwanted activities and changes after the appearance of this adware, you should remove LookupShare from your macOS machine and web browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. To terminate the potentially unwanted program entirely, you have to be sure that no suspicious objects are left lurking on your machine or browser apps, otherwise, the ad-supported application might easily return.
You can perform LookupShare removal in two different techniques – manual/automatical. The first one requires the user's interaction with all infected sources and components. The second one requires only employing reliable software and leaving the job for the program. Once the adware is no more on your system and browsers, you can try fixing any corrupted places with a tool such as Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego in case the PUP has made more difficult changes than expected.
Spreading locations of adware apps and how to avoid them
Specialists from LesVirus.fr claim that PUPs such as adware apps are distributed by using various techniques such as bundling, injecting the download of the suspicious program straight into a hyperlink or advertisement that often appear on unsecured networks such as gambling, gaming, and adult-themed pages.
However, we have good news for users that the secret installation of adware programs is easily avoidable if you just put a little bit of effort into it. Of course, automatical computer protection is necessary, so you should place a reliable antivirus tool on your computer. However, do not forget that manual actions are also required here. You can:
- Change the downloading mode into Custom/Advanced. If you have earlier picked the Quick/Recommended configuration, there should be no surprise that suspicious content has invaded your computer system.
- Avoid visiting unsecured online sources. If some type of website that you are tending to enter is marked as unsafe or you start receiving alerts from your antivirus tool, you should not proceed to it anymore.
- Avoid clicking on suspicious advertisements/hyperlinks. You should not click on every notification that appears on your screen while browsing the web as there might be infectious content delivered. However, if ads start bothering you frequently, consider getting AdBlock or Adblock Plus on your browser for further ad prevention.
LookupShare virus can be eliminated manually or automatically
You can remove LookupShare from your macOS by putting some effort of your own or by employing reliable antimalware software to complete the process for you. Which method works better for you and the computer is all up to you to decide. However, measure your skills and experience in the virus elimination field first.
If you think that you will be capable to deal with LookupShare removal on your own, go ahead and take a look at the below-provided elimination instructions. Here you will discover how to clean your macOS operating system and reverse browsers such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari back to their previous states.
Once LookupShare adware is gone, you should start taking your online and computing security more seriously in order to avoid repeated future incidents. Avoiding adware and similar threats is necessary for maintaining quality-full PC work.
You may remove virus damage with a help of Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego. SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes are recommended to detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove LookupShare, follow these steps:
Eliminate LookupShare from Mac OS X system
To clean your macOS computer from suspicious applications, files, and entries, you should complete the following guiding steps
- If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
- Wait until you see Applications folder and look for LookupShare or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Erase LookupShare from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
To refresh Mozilla Firefox back to its previous state as it was before the adware attack, you should carry out these following steps
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select LookupShare and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete LookupShare removal.
Uninstall LookupShare from Google Chrome
To eliminate bogus content from Google Chrome and refresh the entire browser, complete these steps
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select LookupShare and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete LookupShare removal.
Get rid of LookupShare from Safari
To delete questionable products and browser helper objects from the Safari web browser, you should go through these guidelines carefully
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for LookupShare or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete LookupShare removal process.