Mmpa virus Removal Guide
What is Mmpa ransomware?
Mmpa ransomware is the virus that sends ransom-demanding messages to its victims once most of the data get locked
Mmpa ransomware - threat that tries to gain profit by demanding money from the victim. Mmpa ransomware – cryptovirus that can also spread trojans and damage settings on the system to ensure persistence. This version of Djvu ransomware can spread AzorRult trojan around and fake Windows Update windows on the screen while the encryption process is also running. It can create serious damage to the machine that gets infected, so the most important functions needed for the virus termination get disabled and turned off. The main goal of the threat is to encrypt files to have a reason to demand money from victims by delivering ransom messages in _readme.txt file that includes an offer for a 50% discount. Hackers behind the threat mark encoded data using the .mmpa file appendix and then demands a payment of $980 in Bitcoin cryptocurrency. To fake the trust with the victim, criminals offer to lower the amount by half in the first 72 hours. However, paying these people is never a recommended option.
Besides all these issues with images, documents, archives, and other data that gets locked during the encryption, Mmpa ransomware virus can delete files or turn off features useful for the data recovery. Unfortunately, previous decryption tools do not work on the new versions in this family. You can rely on Emsisofts' Djvu decrypter only, but this the tool works for variants based on offline IDs. It means that cryptovirus is not making a remote connection to the server when forming the unique victims' ID, so there are many identical ones. The latest versions like Vari, Lyli, Moss, Foqe are not decryptable. When it comes to file repairing, removing the threat, and relying on your data backups is the best solution.
|Family||Djvu ransomware/ STOP virus|
|Contact emails||Criminals offer to contact them via firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com|
|Distribution||The virus can spread using various methods that include malicious files or scripts on the page, website. The more common way of spreading Djvu versions – pirating sites and files found there. It mainly comes from game cheats, pirated Adobe packages, cracks|
|Elimination||You should remove Mmpa ransomware right away before any file recovering options get considered. This ensures that you cannot damage files permanently|
|File recovery||You have limited options for the file recovery because there are a few tools that can work for these newer versions of the ransomware. Media files can get restored with a particular file repair tool. Also, you might check the Djvu decryption tool developed for versions that rely on offline IDs|
|Repair||As for the system damage that threats like this can cause – you need a proper repairing tool like ReimageIntego. The program might indicate altered files or corrupted pieces and fix them automatically|
Mmpa ransomware is a virus that attacks Windows computers by using various infiltration methods. The more common one for this family is a malicious file technique that drops the virus's payload once pirated software, cracks, and cheats get downloaded.
Once inside, it uses an encryption algorithm right away to lock up all documents, archives, videos, music, and other files. After that, Mmpa ransomware virus delivers a ransom note _readme.txt text file, which includes instructions on how to recover the encrypted data:
Don’t worry, you can return all your files!
All your files like photos, databases, documents and other important are encrypted with strongest encryption and unique key.
The only method of recovering files is to purchase decrypt tool and unique key for you.
This software will decrypt all your encrypted files.
What guarantees you have?
You can send one of your encrypted file from your PC and we decrypt it for free.
But we can decrypt only 1 file for free. File must not contain valuable information.
You can get and look video overview decrypt tool:
Price of private key and decrypt software is $980.
Discount 50% available if you contact us first 72 hours, that’s price for you is $490.
Please note that you’ll never restore your data without payment.
Check your e-mail “Spam” or “Junk” folder if you don’t get answer more than 6 hours.
To get this software you need write on our e-mail:
Reserve e-mail address to contact us:
Your personal ID:
According to Mmpa file virus authors, victims need to contact them via firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com email and provide their personal ID included in the ransom note and indicate each encoded device. Once that is done, users should receive further instructions to proceed with the payment, provided in Bitcoin cryptocurrency. Nonetheless, we do not recommend contacting the attackers because they might not deliver the required decryption tool.
Mmpa ransomware removal should be performed instead because the proper cleaning procedure can ensure that the machine is prepared for data recovery. SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes should work great for the best results of eliminating malicious programs, malware, and other possible intruders. You need to double-check before other steps, so you are not risking to lose your data permanently.
Mmpa ransomware - cryptovirus that can create issues on the machine if you do not remove it quickly.
Limited solutions for .mmpa file recovery
Unfortunately, it is not easy to remove Mmpa ransomware, especially when you do not know when the threat managed to get on the system and when it achieves the needed goals of altering the system settings. Experts note that there are issues with the recovery because the virus can disable security tools and damage files on the machine directly.
When you catch the Mmpa virus, it can add a startup task and alter registry entries, so processes get launched continuously. It masks the process of encryption with the Windows Update procedure window, so you overlook the issue until those files get .mmpa extension.
From there, you have a few options only. Since the threat is related to money extortion, you shouldn't think about paying them at all. It is too risky, so we do not encourage to do so. You can expect decryption tools in the future, so saving some of the virus-related files, payload, encoded data and storing that on the external drive can help later on. But it is not that easy to decrypt such threats like Mmpa ransomware virus.
Third-party tools for file recovery might also work, but we cannot stress this enough – it is crucial to remove Mmpa virus fully before adding any backups, file copies, or recovered files on the machine. Clean virus damage with ReimageIntego and repair those functions like ShadowExplorer before you try to get your files back to a normal state.
Mmpa ransomware - file-encrypting malware that asks money after the encryption.
Use Emsisoft decrytpion tool for .Mmpa file recovery
Keep in mind that Mmpa file virus might not be decryptable even for those who have their data encrypted with an offline ID for quite some time. One of the users who got encrypted with this variant needs to retrieve the offline key from the attackers and then share it with Emsisoft security researchers. Thus, if the tool does not work for you yet, you should wait some time and try it later.
Here's how to use it:
- Download Emsisoft's decryptor for Djvu [download link].
- Click on the decrypt_STOPDjvu.exe file at the bottom-left of your browser tab.
- Agree to License Terms.
- Click OK when Disclaimer window shows up.
- The Decryptor should automatically populate the encrypted file folders, although you can add them manually as well by pressing Add folder.
- The tool will run for sometime and report whether your files can be decrypted.
From here, there are three outcomes that are available:
- “Decrypted!” will be shown under files that were decrytped successfully – they are now usable again.
- “Error: Unable to decrypt file with ID:” – this means that the offline keys for this version of Djvu has not been recovered yet (should try later).
- “This ID appears to be an online ID, decryption is impossible” – as description explains, decryption is not possible with the decryptor.
Mmpa ransomware virus termination and file restoring tips
Mmpa file virus – a threat that most likely got dropped on your machine when you downloaded a pirated program, crack of the licensed version software, game cheat. Torrent sites and other services like this are unsafe because criminals take advantage of such user behavior and plant malware.
It becomes difficult to remove Mmpa ransomware when it manages to plant other background processes, release trojans, or malware that records data. Decryption options are limited, so rely on SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes and clear the infection yourself. Then you can search for additional help in the file restoring process.
Mmpa ransomware removal is not the same as file recovery. Anti-malware tools only clear intruders and cyber threats, but virus damage and other issues remain there. When you are sure that the virus got eliminated, you can enter the data backup device or find copies of files in the cloud. Of course, do not forget about virus damage and issues that can get fixed with ReimageIntego full system check.
Getting rid of Mmpa virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
Threat can be removed when you reboot the machine in Safe Mode with Networking
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove Mmpa using System Restore
System Restore feature helps to fight Mmpa ransomware virus because it recovers machine in a previous state
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of Mmpa. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove Mmpa from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
If your files are encrypted by Mmpa, you can use several methods to restore them:
Data Recovery Pro – a program that restores files after Mmpa ransomware infections
This is the option that can restore files after accidental deletion or ransomware encryption
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by Mmpa ransomware;
- Restore them.
Windows Previous Versions feature can repair individual files for you
When the threat is removed using the System Restore feature, you can recover encrypted files with Windows Previous versions
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
ShadowExplorer – way to restore encoded data
When ransomware is not affecting Shadow Volume Copies, you can use this feature and restore affected files yourself
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
Decryption options limited for Mmpa virus
Try Emsisoft' Djvu decrypter tool to see if you can restore files or not
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from Mmpa and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Access your website securely from any location
When you work on the domain, site, blog, or different project that requires constant management, content creation, or coding, you may need to connect to the server and content management service more often. The best solution for creating a tighter network could be a dedicated/fixed IP address.
If you make your IP address static and set to your device, you can connect to the CMS from any location and do not create any additional issues for the server or network manager that needs to monitor connections and activities. VPN software providers like Private Internet Access can help you with such settings and offer the option to control the online reputation and manage projects easily from any part of the world.
Recover files after data-affecting malware attacks
While much of the data can be accidentally deleted due to various reasons, malware is one of the main culprits that can cause loss of pictures, documents, videos, and other important files. More serious malware infections lead to significant data loss when your documents, system files, and images get encrypted. In particular, ransomware is is a type of malware that focuses on such functions, so your files become useless without an ability to access them.
Even though there is little to no possibility to recover after file-locking threats, some applications have features for data recovery in the system. In some cases, Data Recovery Pro can also help to recover at least some portion of your data after data-locking virus infection or general cyber infection.