My-search-start.com hijacker causes browser redirects in Mac
My-search-start.com virus is a browser hijacker that alters browser’s settings and sets hxxp://My-search-start.com/ site to appear on browser’s startup. After changing the default start page, the hijacker also changes default search engine and new tab page settings. What is interesting about this hijacker is that it targets Mac users only, and judging from its appearance, it seems that this hijacker is identical to Chumsearch.com, Search.polebeary.com or Coolasearch.com. The search engine provides untrustworthy search results because clicking on them can take the user to an entirely different search pages that have nothing in common with the search query or the search result clicked. Therefore we recommend users to remove My-search-start.com redirect virus without any hesitations – the sooner, the better. For its removal, we recommend using software that is compatible with Mac operating system – Malwarebytes Anti Malware.
The suspicious search tool claims to be capable of enhancing user’s browsing and search experience, although it actually worsens it. Not only it slows down the Mac OS, but it also increases the risk of visiting highly untrustworthy web pages. Visiting such sites can put user’s privacy or computer’s security at risk, so it is better to get rid of this bogus program and use a more reliable search engine instead. The only thing that developers of such shady search tools care about is money, so they focus on generating pay-per-click revenue by driving traffic to particular websites. Sadly, they do not care about victim’s privacy and security, so they hardly ever endorse content shared by advertised websites. If you aspire to be a security-minded user, implement My-search-start.com removal right now. You can find the list of suggested anti-malware programs below the article, as well as manual removal tutorial that will assist you to delete the virtual parasite by yourself.
Distribution of Mac redirect viruses
While many believe that Macs are resistant to spyware and malware, we have to deny it. Contrary to popular belief, Macs are vulnerable to adware and browser hijackers, and there are some ransomware viruses capable of infecting Mac OS as well. In most cases, such Mac threats are distributed using the same old software bundling technique, which allows distributing several programs at the same time. If you accidentally download a software bundle, you have to be very careful and try not to install unnecessary programs. To drop off unwanted additions, we suggest choosing Custom or Advanced installation settings and then deselecting all extra programs one after another. Most likely you will be introduced to some allegedly useful “browser new tabs,” “advantageous search tools” and other pieces of software that actually are highly bothersome tools that serve third-party advertisements. Resist the curiosity to test suggested programs and proceed with the installation.
Safe way to remove My-search-start.com from Mac
It can be hard to remove My-search-start.com virus from Mac, but if you follow instructions provided down below, you shouldn’t encounter any problems and get rid of it in a couple of minutes. Differently than spyware or malware that targets Windows OS, Mac OS parasites are not that sophisticated yet. For My-search-start.com removal, you can also employ a trustworthy anti-malware software. You can find some recommendations on what software you can use below.
You can remove My-search-start.com automatically with a help of one of these programs: Reimage, Plumbytes Anti-MalwareWebroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus, Malwarebytes Anti Malware. We recommend these applications because they can easily delete potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove My-search-start.com virus, follow these steps:
Erase My-search-start.com from Mac OS X system
First of all, check the Applications folder for any suspicious apps that may have been added without your knowledge. If you find some, drag them to Trash. Next, delete questionable extensions from each of your web browsers (including Chrome, Safari, and the others).
- If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
- Wait until you see Applications folder and look for My-search-start.com or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Remove My-search-start.com from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Delete suspicious add-ons from Chrome. Use the provided guide to find the unwanted extensions. Refresh Firefox afterward.
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select My-search-start.com and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete My-search-start.com removal.
Eliminate My-search-start.com from Google Chrome
Chrome browser should contain a couple of extensions that keep causing redirects to suspicious my-search-start page again and again. Here’s a guide on how to delete them.
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select My-search-start.com and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
Change your homepage and default search engine if it was altered by your virus
Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete My-search-start.com removal.
Get rid of My-search-start.com from Safari
To fix Safari that keeps making URL redirections and opening the described search engine, carry out the provided instructions.
- Remove dangerous extensions
Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for My-search-start.com or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by My-search-start.com, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete My-search-start.com removal process.