Searchmarquis.com – a Mac-based browser hijacker that modifies the main engine to https://www.searchmarquis.com
Search Marquis is a browser-hijacking virus that appends its own engine to the hijacked web browser. It is known that this PUP appears on Mac computers only and tends to change the main search engine to https://www.searchmarquis.com. Later on, such modifications can also be spotted in the browser's homepage and new tab URL section. After such actions, Search Marquis virus starts promoting its bogus activities and collecting income. The browser hijacker plants cookies into the browser to spy on the user's online sessions and produces beneficial-looking adverts.
|Name||Searchmarquis.com, Search Marquis|
|Sub-type||Potentially unwanted program|
|Target||Mac OS users|
|Distribution||Free or shared programs, unsecured software downloading networks, e.g. peer-to-peer sources|
|Detection tool||You can detect the browser hijacker and all bogus products by launching Reimage Reimage Cleaner|
Searchmarquis.com belongs to the potentially unwanted program category because it uses stealth techniques to enter the targeted computer system. This usually refers to bundling measures or security-lacking websites. Once the app is on the machine, be prepared to face bogus activities.
Searchmarquis.com might present itself as a useful product, however, do not fall for believing in these claims as you might easily get tricked by the developers. They might add “handy features” to the browser hijacker such as fast access to popular networks. However, the true feature of this program is to plant tracking components and gather non-personal data:
We collect non-identifiable aggregated information (“Non-Personal Information”) about your device and your use of Services. Non-Personal Information which is collected includes: technical information transmitted by your device, your aggregated use of the Service, statistics, type of browser and default search preference, operating system type, language and the time and date you access and use the Service, website which you lead you to the Offer, approximate geographical location, Internet Service Provider (ISP), Internet Protocol address (IP), etc.
While this type of gathered information might seem meaningless from the first view, note that browser hijackers such as Search Marquis generate fake offers and deals that rely on this data and attract a big number of users. Do not click on any ads that come from this hijacker as you might be redirected to somewhere dangerous.
Search Marquis - a browser hijacker that travels in software bundles or through unsecured networks
Here we end up with another problem related to Search Marquis – redirecting. Frequent redirects are mostly caused to take the visitor to an affiliate web source and convince him to buy some useless products. However, sometimes you might be forced to land on a potentially infectious website.
Searchmarquis.com removal is a necessary step to take if you are heading towards ultimate computer and browsing safety. You can easily find all bogus products that might have been planted on the computer system with the help of Reimage Reimage Cleaner . Of course, feel free to choose any other type of program.
Also, we have provided some detailed guidelines at the end of this article that should help you to remove Searchmarquis.com from your Mac OS X computer and clean bogus modifications from web browser applications such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari.
Stay away from unsecured downloading sources
Tech experts from LesVirus.fr state that browser hijackers and other potentially unwanted programs are likely to infiltrate the targeted machine/device through sources that lack required protection. These locations are known to be various P2P networks such as Torrents.
Search Marquis - a browser hijacker that uses tracking cookies to spy on the user's Internet activities Additionally, bogus products are very likely to enter the computer via free software packages. Programs that are shared for free for downloading/installing purposes do not include any recommended security. This is why you always have to opt for the Custom/Advanced installation mode.
Besides, having a reputable antivirus program running on your machine will do half of the security job for you. However, you cannot leave everything for the antimalware as you are the one who is responsible for your own, your programs', and your machine's/device's safety level.
Removal tips for Searchmarquis.com browser hijacker
If Searchmarquis.com virus has been bothering you lately, the best thing to do is eliminate the potentially unwanted program together with all additional content that it has brought to the computer system and web browser applications such as Chrome, Firefox, Explorer, and Safari.
Searchmarquis.com removal can be carried out in two different ways – by using manual steps or downloading/installing automatical products. Note that the second variant is more effective and will allow you to deal with the entire process in a few minutes of time.
However, if you believe in yourself and think that the skills you have in the cybersecurity field are enough to get rid of the browser-hijacking application, you can remove Searchmarquis.com from web browsers and OS with the help of the below-provided guiding lines.
You may remove virus damage with a help of Reimage Reimage Cleaner . SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes are recommended to detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove Searchmarquis.com, follow these steps:
Remove Searchmarquis.com from Mac OS X system
You can clean Mac OS X from bogus products that have been added by the browser hijacker. Use these below-provided steps to complete such a task:
- If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
- Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Searchmarquis.com or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Erase Searchmarquis.com from Internet Explorer (IE)
If you found out that your Internet Explorer web browser is filled with questionable components, you can eliminate all of the objects by completing the following:
Remove dangerous add-ons
Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for Searchmarquis.com and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
Reset Internet Explorer
Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete Searchmarquis.com removal.
Uninstall Searchmarquis.com from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Mozilla Firefox can be cleaned from suspicious content and reversed back to its previous state by carrying out the following steps:
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Searchmarquis.com and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Searchmarquis.com removal.
Delete Searchmarquis.com from Google Chrome
If you have spot unexpected changes in your Google Chrome web browser, you can eliminate them by carrying out a few tasks which are provided here:
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Searchmarquis.com and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
Change your homepage and default search engine if it was altered by your virus
Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Searchmarquis.com removal.
Eliminate Searchmarquis.com from Safari
Clean Safari from suspicious-looking browser content. The below-provided steps will show you how to remove objects such as extensions and plug-ins:
- Remove dangerous extensions
Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for Searchmarquis.com or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by Searchmarquis.com, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Searchmarquis.com removal process.