Spyder-finder.com is a browser hijacker that creates the impression of usefulness by offering improved search results
Spyder-finder.com browser hijacker is a useless search engine that affects your time online by altering search results.
Spyder-finder.com is a browser hijacker which is identical to Weknow.ac. While it claims to be a valuable addition to the system, its developer who calls himself Spyder finder (previously known as weknow) uses identical design as the one used in other sites of this Tel Aviv-based developer. Once inside the system, the virus creates Smili folder, AdminPrefs profile, and similar additions to it. After visiting the main site of the Spyder Finder search engine, you can't see much. However, there is a straightforward link to MacKeeper's site. If you tried to search via this search engine, you could see that the results are provided via WebCrawler – yet another PUP that promotes other cyber intruders. Beware that there is a high possibility to be attacked by infected links rerouting you to infected websites or scam-based websites seeking to swindle personal information.
|Category||Potentially unwanted program|
|Distribution||Deceptive ads, software bundles|
|Related components||AdminPrefs profile, Smili folder|
|Elimination||Clean the system and remove Spyder-finder.com with Reimage|
In short, Spyder-finder.com virus is a fake search engine having a great potential because its developer has been known for aggressive tactics used to prevent the removal of its virus. While the search engine is promoted as useful, the PUP can modify browser's policies, bookmarks and similar settings which are additionally used to prevent its removal. If your browser's home page, default search engine, and new tab url were changed to this page, check the system with anti-spyware to get rid of this hijacker in a faster way.
When your device gets infected by Spyder-finder.com, you cannot search online without getting constant redirects and altered results. Your browser automatically opens the website when you open your Safari or Chrome, and it works slower than usual.
The hijacker causes additional changes to the system:
- Default homepage and new tab settings changed to the previously-mentioned domain;
- The homepage is set to this site too;
- Every search in-browser redirects to WebCrawler's search engine;
- Search results filled with commercial sites;
- Commonly visited sites contain banners with ads;
- Pop-up windows constantly appear from each click on the browser;
- Various hyperlinks redirect to suspicious commercial pages, affiliated websites.
We may collect or allow third parties to collect, through blocks of code called “pixels” or “web beacons”, certain information about you and send it to our servers and to our partners. We or our partners, package all or part of this information into small text files called Cookies and send the Cookie to your computer. As an example, Cookies may store search queries made through the Software & Services, the web pages you accessed, your interaction with advertisements presented to you via the Software & Services, features you used, your session duration and your configurations and preferences of the Software & Services.
We, as well as other experts, recommend employing antivirus tools to remove Spyder-finder.com virus. Since the main distribution technique is bundled software or deceptive and possibly malicious websites, you need a thorough scan on the device. The main target of this hijacker is Mac OS supporting devices, but you can get this intruder on Windows too. Programs like Reimage have various versions compatible with all OSs.
Pay close attention when performing Spyder-finder.com removal and check your browser setting afterward. You can also find a few tips for manual virus elimination below. Also, we have a few other software suggestions to eliminate the hijacker and all PUPs promoted by it.
Avoid getting cyber intruders by using our tips
When it comes to cyber infections like potentially unwanted programs and browser hijackers or adware, the main distribution technique is software bundling. This distribution method involves freeware providers and PUP developers when they pack their products together and spread around the internet.
P2p services, downloading websites and other questionable software sources deliver freeware in bundles. Unfortunately, if you skip through installation steps you make the risk of getting the cyber infection even higher. If you choose Advanced or Custom installation you can de-select unwanted apps and in contrast, opting for Default installation gets you additional applications.
Always go with the Advanced or Custom installation to make sure that you get the wanted application and choose freeware sources carefully, opt for an official developer or a trustworthy website.
Terminate Spyder-finder.com by removing all potential threats
To remove Spyder-finder.com from the system completely, you should employ tools designed for this. As we have already mentioned, the hijacker can alter Google Chrome's Policies, Safari's bookmarks, etc. Anti-malware programs are developed to scan the device fully and eliminate all possible threats, potentially unwanted programs or even changed registry keys and corrupted files.
Remember that automatic Spyder-finder.com removal is the best option because of the distribution technique. You may have additional PUPs without even knowing. Employ one of the programs that we suggest below or use anti-malware of your choice and scan the device.
When Spyder-finder.com virus is eliminated, you can use your browser normally and get useful search results. Also, don't forget to check your browsers for unwanted content, so you can delete additional extensions and bookmarks or plugins.
You can remove virus damage automatically with a help of one of these programs: Reimage, SpyHunterCombo Cleaner, Malwarebytes Malwarebytes. We recommend these applications because they detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove Spyder-finder.com, follow these steps:
Remove Spyder-finder.com from Mac OS X system
To remove Spyder-finder.com from your device, you should get rid of all components related to this hijacker. Once you get rid of related entries, you should find Smili folder in the finder and delete it as well. Finally, find AdminPrefs profile in the System Preferences/Profiles section.
- If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
- Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Spyder-finder.com or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Erase Spyder-finder.com from Internet Explorer (IE)
Remove dangerous add-ons
Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for Spyder-finder.com and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
Reset Internet Explorer
Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete Spyder-finder.com removal.
Get rid of Spyder-finder.com from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Clean the browser thoroughly and get rid of additional intrusive content:
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Spyder-finder.com and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Spyder-finder.com removal.
Eliminate Spyder-finder.com from Google Chrome
Make sure to delete Spyder-finder.com and other similar content from your Chrome:
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Spyder-finder.com and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
Change your homepage and default search engine if it was altered by your virus
Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Spyder-finder.com removal.
Delete Spyder-finder.com from Safari
- Remove dangerous extensions
Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for Spyder-finder.com or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by Spyder-finder.com, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Spyder-finder.com removal process.