What is Chrome redirect virus?
Chrome redirect virus is a dangerous and very annoying infection, which can negatively affect Google Chrome web browser. Once it gets on its target PC, it initiates serious havoc there by starting to alter various system settings and then causing continuous redirects during people's search sessions. In most of the cases, victims are redirected to unknown websites that are desperately trying to increase their page rank, sales or other things. However, there is no guarantee that these Chrome redirects won't trick you into visiting suspicious websites that are seeking the only thing - make people download other viruses to their computers. In most of the cases, Google Chrome redirect virus starts its activity every time when affected user starts browsing on the web and begins his/hers searching. If you have also noticed that after clicking on one of Chrome search results your browser redirects you to unrelated, unknown and even suspicious websites, you should think about checking your computer with updated anti-spyware. Just like any other infection, Chrome redirect virus is mostly used for generating the money. Its owners do that by promoting those weird, obnoxious and similar domains that wouldn't be entered in other circumstances. However, they might have forgotten that such activity may lead people to the infiltration of other viruses. If you think that your PC could be infected with Chrome redirect virus, the first thing you must do is to stay away from websites that are promoted in this way. In addition, you should scan your computer with updated anti-spyware and remove suspicious files and programs from it. For that we highly recommend using SpyHunter (Windows OS) or Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus (Windows and Mac OS X).
HOW CAN Chrome redirect virus infect my computer?
Chrome redirect virus is distributed with a help of different techniques. Some of them are only suspicious, other ones can be called dangerous. However, in most of the cases people download such suspicious programs in a bundle with freeware and shareware. Sometimes these programs are legitimate, sometimes they are not, so you can easily fall for downloading this hijacker after visiting normally-looking domain and clicking on some link. If you want to avoid hijackers and other unwanted stuff, you have to start monitoring installation of the freeware. You can do that by selecting Custom or Advanced installation of the freeware. If related malware gets inside the system, it can easily alter computer's settings and try to hijack the browser so that it could start its unwanted redirections and redirect its victims to unknown websites. The most important thing is that this redirect virus can easily try to make itself comfortable by altering various system settings that can be fixed only with a help of anti-spyware.
HOW CAN I REMOVE Chrome redirect virus?
First of all, you should scan your system with anti-malware program. You can easily use one of these anti-spywares that are given below. They will search your system for malicious programs and then will report them back to you. Of course, you can also follow these steps below but in this case you should try to be very careful and check every element that shows up in your task manager and each of your browsers:
You can remove Chrome redirect automatically with a help of one of these programs: SpyHunter, Malwarebytes Anti Malware. We recommend these applications because they can easily delete potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
Remove Chrome redirect from Windows 7 / Vista / XP systems
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
Remove Chrome redirect from Windows 10 / Windows 8 systems
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Here, look for Chrome redirect or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
- Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.WindowsMac OS XInternet ExplorerFirefoxGoogle ChromeSafari
Remove Chrome redirect from Mac OS X system
If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Chrome redirect or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.WindowsMac OS XInternet ExplorerFirefoxGoogle ChromeSafari
Remove Chrome redirect from Internet Explorer (IE)Remove dangerous add-ons
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for Chrome redirect and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
- Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
- Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete Chrome redirect removal.
Remove Chrome redirect from Mozilla Firefox (FF)Remove dangerous extensions
- Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Chrome redirect and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
- Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
- Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Chrome redirect removal.
Remove Chrome redirect from Google ChromeDelete malicious plugins
- Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Chrome redirect and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
- Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
- Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Chrome redirect removal.
Remove Chrome redirect from SafariRemove dangerous extensions
- Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for Chrome redirect or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
- Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by Chrome redirect, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
- Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Chrome redirect removal process.
Complete Chrome redirect virus removal
After uninstalling this potentially unwanted program (PUP) and fixing each of your web browsers, we recommend you to scan your PC system with a reputable anti-spyware. This will help you to get rid of Chrome redirect registry traces and will also identify related parasites or possible malware infections on your computer. For that you can use our top-rated malware remover: SpyHunter, Malwarebytes Anti Malware.
If this free removal guide helped you and you are satisfied with our service, please consider making a donation to keep this service alive. Even a smallest amount will be appreciated.
Geolocation of Chrome redirect virus
Removal guides in other languages
Comments on Chrome redirect virus
Post a comment
Attention: Use this form only if you have additional information about a parasite, its removal instructions, additional resources or behavior. By clicking "post comment" button you agree not to post any copyrighted, unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind.